Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Blackbird vs. the Bluebird


We all have style. I find that there is no such thing is not having style at all. Granted, the mom in the grocery store in your neighborhood is wearing sweatpants and Crocs; it's still her style. My style has always been a bit on the black side. Growing up in a la la land in southern California, I had an inner urge to rebel and embrace my naturally jet-black hair by wearing dark jeans with a black top, or even an LBD with black tights and black shoes. It wasn't long before I was known as "Wednesday Adams" amongst my friends. But that was the real me, and even if all my friends looked like they popped straight out of a Matel Barbie box, I guess I didn't mind flying solo in my own style sky...

Here in New York, I blend in quite a bit better. There are plenty of us with dark hair, wearing LBDs in the middle of the scorching summer. We seem to beat to the same style drum out here. It got me thinking this week, "Women are blackbirds or bluebirds flying in their own style skies"...


Blackbirds look forward to fall. When it is more socially acceptable to wear violet vintage lipstick paired with textured tights and an oversized lux knit sweater dress. Blackbirds (no matter how hard they try) incorporate black into almost every ensemble all year long. They long for colder days, and at the first sight of a leaf falling to ground, smirk slightly knowing its almost time to break out their black leather booties. Blackbirds fly in a fashion world that is utterly Coco Chanel; "Breakfast at Tiffany's; and simply chic.


Bluebirds on the other hand, love pink; love yellow; love all the colors of the rainbow. They have taken the neon trend to another dimension and are obsessed with anything that shines as bright as the sun. They fly in a style sky that is bright, spontaneous, and full of adventure. From top to bottom, they dress to brighten up their reflection in the mirror and just about anyone they see.


I would like to break this medium. I would like mutate these birds together and create a new breed of fashion. This past summer I have packed away the textured tights, packed away (most of) my LBDs and embraced the bluebird deep within. This does not mean I have shut everything black out of the wardrobe. Black is one of the most flattering and sophisticated colors in fashion. For example, for the office this week, I paired a hot pink knee-length skirt with a black peplum top and leopard belt. Finished the look with a pair of black booties and "vuah lah!" black/blue-mutation at its finest! I look forward to continuing the mutation into the fall. Where I would normally stick to all dark hues, I can't wait to incorporate my brights into next season's wardrobe.


I recommend you to embrace your inner bird. Whether its blue, black, or a bit of both. It's all about what your true style is; and making it YOU. Don't forget who you really are and always try and have fun. Whether its summer, spring, winter or fall. Endulge in a Rebecca Minkoff  hot pink MAC Crossbody and wear it into the next season. It's ok to fall off the norm of what you are totally bound to, and try to fly with a whole new flock.

2 comments: