Monday, August 20, 2012

The VogueGasm

Everyday for the past month, my eyes light up when I take my steps by all of the newsstands on the streets of New York. Even when I pass by the bodega tucked in the bottom of the Queens Plaza station, my head turns in hopes that the new September issue of Vogue is sitting in the window...

I settled for "Lucky" or "In Style" but nothing says fall fashion like the enormously thick and yummy issue of Vogue.

As a young girl, my mother subscribed to Vogue. She got it in the mail every month for as long as I can remember.  The issue stocked full  of glamorous fashion stories from the makers of this fabulous industry sat on her sleek black desk until she took in with her to bed. She sat in bed with her black-framed Burberry glasses on and turned each page, folding down the pages with pictures of quilted lamb leather handbags, or chic, tailored tweed skirt suits. The air in her bedroom filled with the essence of fashion and perfume ads; these are images as a young girl I will never forget. My mother engraved a distinctly strong passion for this industry that lies within my heart forever. When I see the September issue of Vogue, it not only inspires my own sense of fashion, but also brings me back to that nostalgic, simple time in my life.

Well, today as I was going to the Duane Read on my way home from work to pick up some toothpaste, my eyes lit up with the same joy that lit in my mothers when she laid in her bed folding over those pages...

I like to call this look/feeling "The VogueGasm"... It happens every September and gives us hope for a whole next year.

As each leaf slowly starts to fall from the trees, and the weather gets a bit more chilly, I hope you have a VogueGasm of your own. Be inspired. And snuggle up in your bed and fold the pages....

No comments:

Post a Comment