Sunday, July 15, 2012

Dear NYC, You Make the Best Boyfriend...


As a young single woman it's natural to want a companion or someone to have a giggle with every now and then, but since I have moved to this city, New York is the best boyfriend I have ever had...

We had a romantic bagel and coffee in the morning in Queens, followed by a classy mimosa at a fancy French bistro in the minst of the cobblestones off of Thompson Street. I felt the itch to discover something new (New York is always keeping me fresh on my toes). I decided to walk through Soho and browse the independent jewelry vendors on Prince St. as well as making a trip to the Young Designers Market (or The Market NYC) over on Bleeker. New York gave me the best day I had experienced in a really long time. We shared a wonderful hot summer afternoon under the sun exploring passion and fashion and he never complained he was missing the Yankee game...

Shopping on Prince St.


While walking in Soho, it's all about the shopping, and hardly anything else. Wherever you turn, there are new stores opening and more vendors to browse. My favorite vendors stay put on Prince St. (facing South). You might occasionally see repeated knock offs or cheap costume jewelry, but for the most part independent jewelry designers set up shop along the sidewalk and offer their one of a kind jewels at a decent price.

I did some browsing and came across a hilarious man by the name of Castro. He does not call himself a designer, rather an individual protesting against similarity and boredom. All of his designs are unique and custom made; all which also happen to offer an extremely edgy and unique look.


He was not pushy about buying anything, and I was only there to browse. His style stood out to me as being something truly original and noteworthy. Check out http://www.castronyc.com to learn more about his designs and style. He was truly something special and I picture very big things for his creative future.

The Young Designers Market (The Market NYC)

After I strolled on Prince St. I made my way over to The Young Designers Market. This indoor venue of independent, fresh, and friendly designers are all found in a single location. The Market NYC offers designers which are all completely different from one another. I was a little afraid of walking into this space and finding a bunch of "hipsters" selling the same kind of designs, but the range of originality varies vastly through this unique shopping experience.

The first designer I stopped by was Terry Ross Jewelry. She offers a simple and elegant stone necklaces, rings, and bracelets set in hand-dipped 18k gold. I was able to leave her booth after falling in LOVE with a simple black crystal necklace with a tiny, elegant gold link chain for only $40; something to wear everyday. She was friendly and extremely passionate about her designs which was a refreshing change from trying to find a necklace from a saleswoman at a department store. Visit her website at http://www.terryrossjewelry.com for more info. She really has something to offer for everyone.

The next designer I visted was selling gorgeous print scarves. Even though it was about 90 degrees out in New York this past Saturday, I couldn't help but find myself drawn to her unique knit scarves. I fell in love with a navy and grey horse and carriage print scarf. This design will look fabulous in the fall with just about any color with skinny jeans and a pair of fabulous boots.

As if the scarves don't simply just sell themselves, Agnes helped me try on the scarf and kindly showed me a few different and original ways I will be able to tie it for the fall. She was so helpful and friendly without being pushy or overly aggressive. View her designs at http://www.amagnes.com and fall for her prints as I easily did.

After my shopping adventure, I hopped into a cab to meet some friends for a sunset cruise around the island. It was a very special day for New York and I. We fell in love all over again and I feel as though we can wake up and do it all over again in the morning, perhaps for the rest of my life...

New York City. Now that's a boyfriend worth keeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment